The NCAA released their annual Academic Progress Rates (APR) today. The results for the West Virginia University Mountaineers are pretty favorable.
Overall, the Mountaineers compiled an average varsity athletics score of 973 (out of 1000).
The APR scores are reflective of a school’s academic progress in terms of eligibility and academic retention rates over a four year period. Each varsity athletic team is given an APR. For WVU, the APRs per team are:
- Baseball: 922, down from 946 last year
- Football: 950, down from 953
- Men’s Basketball: 974, down from 979
- Men’s Soccer: 989, no change
- Men’s Swimming: 972, up from 960
- Men’s Wrestling: 945, up from 928
- Mixed Rifle: 971, down from 992
- Women’s Basketball: 985, up from 981
- Women’s Cross Country: 996, no change
- Women’s Gymnastics: 995, no change
- Women’s Rowing: 981, up from 971
- Women’s Soccer: 985, down from 991
- Women’s Swimming: 974, up from 973
- Women’s Tennis: 964, down from 978
- Women’s Track: 994, up from 989
- Women’s Volleyball: 950, down from 973
The most improved squad academically is the wrestling team, up 17 points this year. The squad that has fallen the farthest is the baseball club, taking a 24 point tumble.
Overall, still an impressive performance by the Mountaineers. Since all teams finished above the threshold of 900, none of the athletic squads will face any kind of discipline. A WVU squad has not faced discipline since the 2008-09 cycle when the Rowing team faced discipline.