I know, this is a sports blog and not a shopping site, but with Christmas one long weekend away, I found it important to provide some last minute suggestions for the Mountaineer fans on your list.
Let’s start with the football fans:
- Football jerseys, especially the new gray ones are high on many wishlists. The ones that are legal to buy in the US can be sparsely found online at this point but you will probably have good luck shopping in person at the Book Exchange or the WVU Bookstore in Morgantown. If you are not near Morgantown, you could try going through Chinese knock-off sites like bornetrade.com but beware that it is highly “frowned upon” by the Government.
Outside of that suggestion, the rest of these items can be found easily online (for the purpose of this article, all my links are from amazon.com for simplicity). Some other football fan suggestions:
- Pick up John Antonik’s Backyard Brawl. It is a comprehensive look at the history of WVU’s rivalry with the Pitt Panthers. If the person you have in mind likes reading about WVU football, then this is a great idea.
- Got a person that loves reliving WVU football history, but maybe not a huge reader, pick up a copy of the 2012 Orange Bowl on DVD. Watching old game highlights might seem dull, but given the high volume of touchdowns and big plays in WVU’s 70-33 beatdown of Clemson, this is one game that is really enjoyable to watch over and over.
- Nothing looks better in an office or study than a full size WVU replica helmet.
Looking for a WVU basketball fan:
- No better way to relive the rich tradition of Mountaineers men’s basketball than with John Antonik’s Roll Out the Carpet. It is a great book, loaded with fun inserts and unique insight.
- Try the miniature basketball hoop and ball set. This is a great gift for both children and adults who like to procrastinate on the job.
- Hoops fan and big on Christmas decor? Check out this WVU basketball ornament.
Gifts specifically for women:
- Need a little stocking stuffer for the Mountaineer woman in your life? Here are some earrings that she is sure to love.
- If your mother is obsessed with gnomes like my mother is, than you cannot pass up this quirky Mountaineer gnome.
- For teachers or tailgating professionals, nothing is more handy than a solid tote bag. This WVU tote will be a great way for her to show off here Mountaineers pride in the office, grocery store, or gym.
Children love Mountaineers stuff:
- Sports card collectors will love this plaque featuring cards of some of the recent WVU greats that have made it to the NFL.
- Stuffed animal lovers would like a teddy bear with a WVU sweater. Just do not put the bear near a WVU mascot toy!
- Board games are great for children and family game night. Try West Virginiaopoly for a Mountaineers game night.
- Need help saving for college? Have your kids save up their pennies in this WVU piggy bank. Great way to teach your children fiscal responsibility.
I could go on and on with gift ideas, but that would be far too much to read. Hopefully this list will at least put you in the right frame of mind to finish off your Christmas shopping.
Of course, if you find this list inspirational, and wanted to thank me in anyway, you could get me anything from the football or basketball gift idea list. Just a suggestion!